Friday, November 8, 2013

My Grandma Rose

When my Grandmother Rose Marie Francis was born on November 8, 1915, (98 years ago today) in South Amherst, Ohio, her father, Carmine, was 31 and her mother, Angela, was 24.  
When she was 7 years old, her parents moved the family from a South Amherst farm to Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood, and she lived there the rest of her life! 
She had three sisters, and one brother.
She married John DiFrancesco on November 26, 1938, in Cleveland, Ohio.  They had three sons in 11 years, and her occupation was a typist.

In April 1945, my Grandfather was drafted into the U.S. Navy during World War II and left my Grandma to care for my father and his younger brother. While he was in the Navy, he wrote "Love" letters to my Grandma and I am lucky enough to have all of them! They wrote back and forth to each other for 10 months! The first letter was dated April 16, 1945 and the last one was dated February 8, 1946. He was totally in love with my Grandmother and his children. 
My Grandma bought both boys sailor outfits so they could be like their Daddy...

She went on to have one more son and raise her three boys in Little Italy, an Italian neighborhood in Cleveland.  
Unfortunately, my Grandfather passed away in May 1964 and left her a young widow at the age of 48. She never remarried.
Her sons all married and she had six grandchildren (me being the oldest).  We spent many, many Sundays at our Grandma's home eating pasta dinners and her delicious pizza and cookies! She was always baking... 
We also celebrated the Feast of Assumption every single year at her house until she passed away. This was a family tradition. She died one day after the Feast Day on August 16, 1995.









































































No comments:

Post a Comment